Thursday, September 1, 2011

Thai Fruit: Rambutan



Recently I have been getting massages from a lady who used to work in the fruit market, so I have been receiving proper Thai fruit lessons on a regular basis. Every time I show up, she has a bowl of fruit and a willingness to share. Two of the things I enjoy most about Thailand are massages and trying all of the silly-looking fruits, so this is a lovely arrangement.

Rambutan is one of the more impressive looking fruits. Rich, deep red and pale yellow with fuzzy green fur sticking out in all directions. It is flamboyant and flashy. Inside sweet, opaque-white fruit flesh waits to be devoured.


The work involved in pulling them apart and prying the fruit and pit apart is a bit much. And I always end up getting some of the pit with the fruit, which I then have to eat to avoid being rude. But, rambutan is one of the better snacks I have discovered here, and is well worth the work involved, as well as a little pit.